Sep 17, 2009

Feeling Much Better, Thank You.

My cold seems to be retreating, so i'm back with words, not just pictures. So let me tell you more about the Frog/Toad/Turtle Races.

Picture this....

Dozens of children and adults gathered around to see what appears to be the most exciting thing Arenzville has ever encountered. What is it?! Oh, it's a gigantic, disgusting mound of reptiles. Ew, ew, EW. I mean, I'll touch a toad with the best of them, but to see that many all lumped together was pretty yucky.

And I much prefer toads to frogs, in case you were wondering. Frogs are slick and slimy. Toads aren't exactly un-nasty, but watching Elizabeth Werries grip a slimey frog was pretty sick.

So here's how it goes. You bring a reptile, mark it with fingernail polish (sorry PETA) and put it in a hole in a large, upside down, black bucket.







And then the Ring Master (aka Jerod Beard) lifts it up.





The reptiles sit there until forced to move, and then you watch them to see who crosses the orange, spray-painted line. Prizes for first, second and third follow.







We did not win, but I'm pretty sure it was fixed.

No comments: