Jan 19, 2011

What A Gray Day.

It's so yucky outside - cold and frozen and icy. Our geothermal unit acted up this morning, I found a rash on my boob and i'm starving and it's only 8:30 and I had my breakfast less than an hour ago.

So let's post a recipe! I made these for Dave and my dad last week and Dave said they were the best things i have ever made. Gee, thanks. Most of it was from a mix.

Chocolate Whoopie Pies

Cookie part:
1 package Devil's Food cake mix (can probably just use whatever)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Icing:
2 tbsp. flour
1 egg white
2 tbsp. milk
1/2 c. softened butter (was supposed to be shortening, but I didn't have any)
1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

To make: Pre-heat over to 350. Mix together the ingredients for the cake part, roll into small balls and place on a cookie sheet. I smushed them down a bit with my fingers to make them somewhat flat. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and let cook. Beat your icing ingredients together until creamy.

When cookies are cooled, add filling just like an oreo! Best if wrapped separately and refrigerated, but I just put them in a pan and stuck them in the fridge. They stayed soft.

PS - I didn't love them, but Dave went nuts over them with a glass of cold milk.

PPS - I think the filling could have been better if I had used shortening, or they have recipes that call for marshmallow fluff. I didn't have either so I had to improvise.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

MMMM. We make these: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/05/my-kingdom-for-a-glass-of-milk/ and they are AMAZING. I like to use mint extract for the filling. Now I want to make them...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...not sure how I feel about a rash on your boob!